Stu:Well, China is going to position a very special vegetable as one of its staple foods, by the year 2020.嗯,到2020年,中国将以一种特别的蔬菜作为主食
Can you guess what that staple vegetable will be?猜猜是什么?
John:I don’t know man!我怎么会知道!
But you are British. The British people like bland food, without any flavor.不过你是英果仁,你们的饮食比较单调乏味,没有任何口味而言
I guess… the potato?我猜……是土豆?
Stu:What do you mean British people only eat bland food?你说英国人的餐饮索然无味是啥意思?
John:I didn’t say that.我可没这么说
Who said that?谁说滴?
Not me. Not me…不是我,我没说……
Stu:I thought you said that!我绝对没听错!
John:Not me.不是我……
Stu:Okay. Well… well you’re right. You’re right John.好吧,你说的没错,John
China is going to take the potato, and by 2020 they are going to make it into one of their many staple foods.中国也要开始把马铃薯正式请上餐桌了,而且到2020年,它也将加入中国人民的主食之列
Now staple food feeds the entire population.民以食为天啊
But John, what are some of China’s staple foods?不过John,说到主食,中国都吃什么?
John:In China we raise rice, corn and wheat.在中国,我们有水稻,玉米和小麦
Stu:And in Britain?那英国呢?
John:You eat potatoes every day.你们每天都吃马铃薯
Stu:John, we don’t eat potatoes every day. We don’t.John,我们可不是“每天”都吃马铃薯,不是那样的
We also eat French fries.我们还吃炸薯条呢
Okay? Get it right!知道了吗?别搞错了!
Come on! Do your research.拜托,不调查怎么能下结论呢
But anyway, not everybody is as happy as me about this news.但不管怎么说,不是所有人都像我一样对这则消息感到嗨皮
Stu:Sounds delicious!只是听到消息,我的口水就已经如滔滔江水延绵不绝了!
John:But Stu, I remember some news about you, potatoes and a video.司徒啊,我记得好像听说过前阵子你那啥,土豆,视频啥的
Apparently, you ate raw potatoes!你竟然生吃土豆!
Why did you do that?你为啥要这么做呢?
Stu:Well… I… It’s true… It’s true.这个……我……没错
I ate a raw potato.我确实吃了一个生土豆
Actually, I made a video mocking British cuisine, because a lot of Chinese people, including you,实际上我制作了一个视频是想模拟一下英式西餐的,因为很多中国人,包括你
think that British people only eat potatoes.都认为英国人只吃马铃薯
But, we don’t only eat potatoes.但实际上马铃薯并不是我们唯一的食物
John:Aahh! You eat fries too!啊!你们还吃薯条!
Stu:We eat fries too.我们也吃薯条
Exactly!没错!
John:You don’t eat raw potatoes, do you?你不会真的吃生土豆,对吧?
Stu:No. Of course not!不,当然不会!
That… that’d be silly.那太傻了
I don’t eat raw potatoes.我怎么会吃生土豆呢
Stu:
It would be utterly ridiculous to eat potatoes raw.
生吃马铃薯太荒唐了
It would be stupid. So…
而且这种做法很愚蠢,所以……
John:But Stu! Have you been eating this potato?司徒!这是你啃过的吗?
Stu:What, this potato?什么?这只土豆?
No! It would be ridiculous.怎么会!别搞笑了...
Let’s go to the next word.我们还是看下一个词汇吧
Stu:John, what does it mean to bare the flesh?John,你说“bare the flesh”这个词是啥意思?
John:Well, it means to show off a bit of your skin.意思是说炫耀一下自己的皮肤
And show everyone how good you look.向所有人展示你看上去有多棒
Stu:So show… show a bit of skin, and show everyone how good you look.炫耀一下自己的皮肤,向所有人展示你看上去有多棒
You mean, like this!你指的是这样
John:Have you been stalking me?你一直在盯我的梢?
Stu:Yeah… I… I mean no… no… no.是啊……我的意思是没有…...
John:Stu, it’s your turn to bare the flesh.司徒,轮到你“秀肉”了