本期单词:trend setting 引领潮流、pick up 即兴、mind boggling 难以置信的
详细剧本:
Stu:
Hello and welcome to the Lao Wai Kan Dong Xi show the Youdao talk show
大家好,欢迎收看有道脱口秀《老外看东西》
where I teach you about the English language
我在这个节目中教大家学英语
with the help of my very good and talented friend Ali.
当然也离不开我亲密无间、才华横溢好基友艾力的帮助
Ali:
Thank you for having me back.
又把我请回来了,好感动
Stu:
Did you like that introduction?
喜欢今天的开场白么
Ali:
Oh my god, I love it so much.
美美哒,说的俺心里暖洋洋
Stu:
Oh yeah. First term.
好吧,来看看今天的第一个词语吧
Trend Setting
Stu:
Our first term today is Trend Setting, something that I know a lot about…
我们今天的第一个词组是“Trend Setting”(引领潮流),在这方面我可是行家...
Ali:
What…?
什么...?
Stu:
Yeah, I do I do.
千万别质疑我
That’s when you do something so cool that everyone else realizes that it's really cool, and they start to copy you, thus you set or I set the trend.
这个词的意思就是,当你做了一些酷毙的事情之后,别人也认为这真的很酷,于是乎他们开始模仿你,这就是“引领潮流”
Ali:
Oh, seriously man, what trends have you set?
哦,是真的么,那你都引领过哪些潮流啊?
Stu:
Oh, loads. Loads… too many to mention.
太多了...数不胜数
Ali:
What…just name one, name one. One example, please, one!
啧啧啧...那你举个栗子,一个就行!
Stu:
Emm…loads man, loads, just too many to mention
呃...太多了,多得数不清记不住
Anyway, trend setters usually, after me of course
不管怎样,那些引流潮流的人,当然他们都是在模仿我啦
they’re usually celebrities including Lady Gaga who looks like an idiot
这些人通常都是一些名人,包括那位看起来有点傻缺的Lady Gaga
and now everyone thinks that looking like an idiot is cool.
所以现在大家都觉得看起来有点二傻就是酷毙了
Ali:
Yeah, looking like an idiot is cool.
好吧,看起来像是二傻确实很酷(囧)
And nowadays, it seems like the students here, the high school students here in China are considered to be the new trend setters
但如今,似乎中国的高中生们成为潮流的引领者了
at least that’s what one museum in Britain is claiming.
至少英国有家博物馆是这么宣称的
Stu:
Yes, that’s the Victoria and Albert museum in London.
没错,那就是英国的维多利亚和阿尔伯特博物馆
They’ve currently got a permanent exhibition,
他们目前开办了一个常设展览
and in that permanent exhibition they have a Chinese school uniform from…. SHENZHEN! Do you want to take a look at the picture?
在这次展览中出现了一件奇葩的展品——校服,而且还是来自中国深圳的一所学校!我还有张照片,想看看么?
Ali:
OK, let’s take a look.
来让我们开开眼
Stu:
In that museum, there is a plaque next to the exhibition of this Shenzhen school uniform, saying that the clothes are practical, comfortable
在这家博物馆中,在深圳的中学校服展品旁的说明名牌上写到 “该校服非常实用、舒适
and so cool that even after graduating high school, students will continue to wear it. Is that true?
设计别致有型,深受学生喜爱,甚至学生毕业后也会继续穿着它”
Ali:
That's Bollock! In British English
用英式英语来说就是 扯蛋!
Stu:
BollockS
扯淡
Ali:
Bollocks, yeah. No way, man! Look at those clothes. Really hideous.
对,扯淡!你在搞笑吗!看看这些衣服,真是奇丑无比
No one likes to wear it, but there’s a reason for everyone forced to put on it. Do you know why?
其实学生穿校服都是被逼的呀,不过这背后大有隐情,知道么?
Stu:
No, I don’t.
请赐教
Ali:
Well, actually the teachers here in China think that if the high school students get the chance to wear the clothes they want, they’ll compare, you know.
在中国老师看来,如果学生可以随心所欲的着装打扮的话,就会形成攀比的不良风气
I wear something expensive, you wear something more expensive. My clothes are much better than yours, something like that.
我比你穿得好,穿得贵之类的攀比
So, this is one of the reasons, the vanity thing.
所以,防止虚荣心的滋长是其中的一个原因
And the other reason is that, it’s actually true,
还有个原因就是...这条确实属实
well, the school really wants everyone to put on that thing so they cannot show your figure, you know, especially girls, so the guys can focus on studies.
学校希望学生们穿上一些能遮住体型的衣服
尤其对女生而言,这样大家就能专心学习了
So, I guess that’s why you know, in Britain you don’t have that kind of clothes so you get distracted all the time.
我觉得你们英国在这方面就欠缺考虑,没让学生们穿上校服,所以你们一直“心不在焉”